Wednesday, July 30, 2008

my Boston adventure

A random stranger took a picture of me at the wharf (near the New England Aquarium)....I believe at Long Pier.
On my way back to NYC on the Fung Wah bus.  I bought an Amtrak ticket for $78 to Boston and $100 back to New York.  Then at the hostel I was so happy to be informed by budget traveling Europeans that there is a bus that goes from Chinatown in Boston to Chinatown in New York City for $15!!!  So I got a 90% refund on my train ticket and bussed it to the city.  Then I didn't feel so guilty about that pair of shoes I bought on Newbury Street.
At Grand Central waiting for my train to Rye.

Eating outside on Newbury Street.  Newbury Street is lined with restaurants, art galleries, clothing boutiques, and many other fun shops.
A statue of George Washington in the Public Garden with the financial district buildings in the background.
Paul Revere's grave in Old Burial Ground.  This is also where John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin's parents, and the actual Mother Goose (a person, not a goose) are buried.  It is said that John Hancock may not even be buried there anymore because right after he was buried grave diggers cut off the hand that he signed the Declaration of Independence with and they believe they may have taken his body also.  The small cemetery was so full that they they were burying 4 people deep and they almost didn't let Paul Revere be buried there.  Fun history fact #2: John Hancock was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence and the saying of needing your "John Hancock" or signature originated because of his signing.  
Faneuil Hall.  This is where the Boston Massacre took place and now the building is full of souvenir shops, a post office, and restaurants.
This is directly behind Faneuil Hall and is lined with eateries down each side of the hallway inside.  I walked out of Faneuil Hall just in time to see these guys starting their live entertainment.  They were acrobat type people that were very engaging and fun to watch.  They ended up doing hand stands at the top of that ladder that is behind them.  It was quite impressive.

*Author note:  The pictures are out of order and before the text....after many minutes of trying to rearrange, this is the best that you are blessed with.  Since I went to Boston 2 weeks ago, I figure that an unorganized blog is better than no blog at all.  Thank you for understanding. *

My Boston trip a few weeks ago was amazing.  I LOVED Boston.  It is an easily walkable town and the people are very friendly (at least compared to your typical New Yorker).  I took a train to Boston Saturday morning, stayed at a hostel, met some friendly Europeans, walked down Newbury Street, ate lunch, shopped (what?!?), watched people and ducks at Boston Common (a city park at the end of Newbury Street), ate dinner, went to bed, toured Old Burying Ground, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, ate lunch, visited with a local fisherman at the wharf, walked, walked, walked, and rode the Fung Wah bus back to NYC.  

That is the condensed version....details are with the pictures. :)

1 comment:

April said...

cool! that pic of the george washington statue is very cool---i clicked on it to see the large size. beautiful garden!